Wednesday, 15 December 2010
Tuesday, 14 December 2010
The Maya Help documentation has been completely useless. Ironically, the nCloth is working much better than before (and I've no idea what I did differently this time!), but these Point on Poly Constraints are completely messed up. :( Help would be appreciated!
Sunday, 12 December 2010
The movement is just about there, but I really wish I'd known more about corrective blend shapes earlier... now trying to figure out a way of detaching the rig and fixing the knees and shoulders without losing the animation! And I STILL haven't figured out exactly what to do with the skirt... urgh... oh, and of course the environment is to follow soon.
Friday, 3 December 2010
Photoshop and I have not been the best of friends in the past - I think it's because I've always liked getting messy with acrylic, big brushes and paint knives. Photoshop's always felt a bit clean - I'm not neat enough for this kind of thing! So I've been trying to make amends, via some rather lovely splatter brushes. I'm quite happy with this one right now, though I might hate it in a week. This blog is a good way for me to force myself to post things up before I overwork them (in the same way as I seem to be doing with my dissertation... trying to make 10,000 words' worth of ideas fit into 7,700 is a nightmare).
Well you can't really see it... (click to make larger) but yes, first time I've made a production chart for 3D so... to be honest. I'm not really sure what I'm doing! The end product has left me feeling a little deflated - yes, you guessed it... that big white space is everything we haven't done! The render passes bit is blank because I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with them yet.
Does anyone with 3D experience have anything to comment on this? Have I taken it too far? Do I need that many render layers? What render passes should I use (bearing in mind I tried to do a render in Mental Ray and everything imploded in spectacular fashion, so I don't think I'll be touching that, not for this project anyway)? Will I be able to do all this by the end of Fourth Year? Will I be a gibbering wreck with 80% blood caffeine content by next May? (Probably.)
Thanks very much to Mark Haldane for the ImageShack link; here is a production chart you can actually see (click on it to zoom in):
Thursday, 2 December 2010
So this is one of Old Floria - none of these animation tests are particularly polished and I probably shouldn't be putting them up, but I'm just so excited to finally see things starting to move after months of static models. The idea with this one is that the monster is sneaking up behind Floria - hence the yellow light.
Right, now to go fix those shoulder weights... (-_-)
Wednesday, 1 December 2010
So... it's not perfect, but it's a good place to start! The back of the monster is still looking a bit square even though I've adjusted the dropoff, so might need to have another look at that one. On the other hand, there are very few frames in which the back of the monster is actually visible... to maintain the impression that he is just an everlasting mass. I'll need to keep the arms moving too I think, for the first few seconds he's moving they look pretty stiff. Still, considering I've never animated anything in Maya before, I'm very happy! :)